Bean Bag Relay
A game that combines friendly competition with high-intensity running
- Divide your straightaway into 3-4 roughly equal segments.
- Group your runners into roughly equal teams and line them up at the start of the course.
- On your command, the first runners sprint to the first marker, drop off a beanbag, and return to the start. Then they sprint to the second marker, drop off another beanbag, and return to the start. Have the runners continue in this fashion until they complete the course.
- After the first runner has dropped off their last beanbag, they tag the next runner who then picks the beanbags up and returns them to the start one at a time.
- Continue with runners alternating between dropping off the beanbags at the markers and returning them to the start until all the runners have gone.
- Runners should not throw the beanbags, but should bend down to place them on the ground to improve agility and anaerobic fitness.
- Work on speed, fast starts and stops, and efficient turns.
Duration / Reps: You can play more than once as long as runners have plenty of time to rest in between relays
When: Anytime, but ideal for the end of the session
- Cones (or other markers)
- A 10-15 meter straightaway
- Improves speed and anaerobic endurance
- Improves agility, which helps runners start, stop, and change direction quickly