A game that improves speed, endurance, and pacing skills
- Split your runners into two or more fairly matched teams.
- Give each team one baton and designate baton handoff locations on the running loop.
- Place one runner from each team at each handoff location except for the starting position, which should have two runners from each team.
- Designate which of the two runners will run first for each team.
- The first runners run to the first baton handoff location and pass their batons to their teammates.
- While the first runners stay and rest until the baton comes around again, their teammates run to the next handoff location and so on.
- The first team to have all of their runners return to their starting positions wins.
- The number of handoff locations depends upon the number of runners. There should be at least one more runner per team than there are handoff locations and at least three runners per team.
- The distance between relay stations will depend on your kids' fitness. As a general guideline, relay legs might range between 25 and 100 meters.
- Keep the mood light and encourage runners to cheer for their teammates.
- Have fun!
When: Anytime, but ideal for the final activity of the day because it will excite your runners even if they are tired from practice
- A loop course
- One baton for each team
- Improves speed, endurance, and pacing skills