|Simon Says||Dinner #2|
|Description:||Students mimic healthy, delicious dinners (sizzle like a stirfry, twirl like pasta); but if Simon doesnít say it, watch out!|
|Objective:||Students will become familiar with a variety of healthy dinner foods.|
- Have the students line up against the wall at one end of the room facing you.
- Quickly review why it is important to eat different kinds, or a variety, of healthy foods every day (because each one does something different and special for our bodies).
- Give a few examples (e.g. broccoli helps us fight off diseases; carrots help us see; corn helps us poop!)
- Tell the students you are going to think about the many healthy dinner foods they can choose from while you play "Simon Says."
- Explain that you (as Simon) are the only person the students should listen to. Tell them you will command them to do certain movements. If you donít say "Simon says" before the command, the class should not do the action.
- Say the following (see below for more):
- "Simon Says: Sizzle like cooking vegetables."
Encourage students to wiggle around.
- "Simon Says: Twirl like pasta."
Encourage them to twirl around.
- "Simon Says: Stretch like cheese."
Encourage them to raise their hands high up in the air.
- "Simon Says: Swim like a fish."
Encourage them to wiggle as if moving through water.
- "Be round like a potato."
- "Simon says: Be stiff like a carrot stick."
Encourage them to stand stiff and straight.
- "Simon Says: Wrap yourself up like a wrap!"
Encourage students to hug themselves.
- "Be small like a grain of rice."
Children should be encouraged to consume a variety of nutrient-rich foods low in fat and added sugar for dinner. There are five food groupings:
- milk and milk products
- meats, beans, and nuts
Children should eat foods from all five groupings everyday.
More Simon Says Actions:
- "Simon Says: Flow like milk."
Encourage students to dance around.
- "Simon Says: Be a mini tree like broccoli."
Encourage students to stand very still and spread arms out like branches.
- "Simon Says: Jump like a jumping bean."
Encourage students to jump up and down with their legs slightly bent.